Senior Journalist/Bartender, Wentworthville, NSW 2145
Ph: 0403 798 686 (M).
- More than 30 years’ experience in journalism in print and online media, in Australia and overseas, for daily and weekly newspapers, international news agencies, magazines, newspaper supplements and newsletters, earning a reputation for my work ethic and high-quality work.
- Worked as Senior Bartender at Sydney Tower revolving restaurants where my duties included servicing customers in the restaurants and functions, training staff, co-coordinating with supplies, distribution, and management. While I was there, I successfully completed an Australian hospitality diploma.
- Led several newspaper and magazine teams implementing new systems, launching new brands, liaising with management, production, marketing, circulation and distribution departments for day-to-day functioning.
- Helped the Rouse Hill Times editorial team win the coveted Community Newspaper of the Year award twice in succession.
- Boosted the reach of web pages and monitored content for community newspapers, doubling the reach of our social media platforms.
- Led teams across several newspapers, producing newspapers, magazines, daily bulletins and special supplements and helping to troubleshoot.
- Broke exclusive and community-based stories while covering Federal and State Government elections and election campaigns, interviewing Prime Ministers, Ministers and MPs, while working closely with media teams in government and councils
Key Areas of Expertise
- In-depth knowledge of both print and online media, working to tight deadlines daily.
- Mobile journalism, using mobile phones to enhance the quality of news articles and breaking news, with videos and images.
- Excellent interviewing, writing and communication skills, using great listening skills and ability to win trust and confidence.
- Experienced in Outlook, Methode, CyberNews, InDesign systems and other designing, editing and layout programs over the years.
- Highly experienced manager/trainer/mentor with demonstrated ability to lead and motivate.
- Highly organised self-starter, confident decision-maker, strong analytical ability and able to exercise sound judgement in workflow planning, time management, following through and completing tasks to deadlines.
- Excellent vocabulary, grammar and spelling skills.
- Extensive experience in international journalism, with strong networks and well versed in cultural sensitivity and protocols.
Roles and Achievements
Western Sydney Access Group
Freelance journalist June 2020 to present day
I produce engaging content on a wide range of subjects for the leading Western Sydney Business Group website, in addition to taking images and videos. (http://www.accessnews.com.au).
Hills to Hawkesbury Community News June 2020 to present day
I write on many different subjects for the premier Hills to Hawkesbury magazine and website, taking my own pictures. (https://hillstohawkesbury.com.au).
NewsLocal (Formerly Cumberland Group)
Senior Journalist July 2008 to April 2020.
- Wrote, edited and proofread for The Daily Telegraph and several community newspapers, including Blacktown Advocate, Canterbury Bankstown Express, Fairfield Advance, The Hills Shire Times, Hornsby Advocate, Liverpool Leader, Penrith Press, Parramatta Advertiser, Rouse Hill Times.
- Headed successful campaigns, including winning Community Newspaper of the Year award several times for our newspaper titles.
- Coordinated with editors regarding major stories in the community, campaigns and production of stories to be used across the group.
- Broke exclusive stories on a wide range of subjects and issues, many of which followed up by the national dailies and TV and radio stations, including Prince Harry meeting terminally ill youngster Levi McCormack (https://bit.ly/32yxOdR).
The Sunday Telegraph
Senior Sub-Editor, print and tablet editions September 2009-May 2017
- Editing stories, proofreading, creating attention-grabbing headlines and arresting captions for the newspaper and other titles across the News Corp and NewsLocal Groups.
Centrepoint Revolving Restaurants
Senior Bartender November 2003-July 2008
- Responsible for servicing customers in all restaurants, special events, team shifts.
- Training new recruits in all aspects of bartending and customer service.
Universal Magazines, Sydney
- Edited and proofread articles for several publications in the organisation’s stable, including automobiles, landscaping and interiors.
Khaleej Times national newspaper, Dubai
Senior Sub-Editor/Senior Journalist 1997-2003
- Page designing, copy tasting, reporting, proofreading, production.
- Interviewing international and local sports stars and personalities.
- Working extensively on special editions, features and newspaper supplements for major events
- Leading sports and general news writer with major exclusive stories and establishing extensive valuable contacts.
- Important coverages included: Dubai Air Show, ICC Cricket Trophy tournaments in Kenya and Sri Lanka 2002, Cox Plate race meeting in Melbourne; King George VI and Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes at Ascot, England; Purebred Arabian race meetings in Newmarket, England and Frankfurt, Germany; Dubai Horse Racing World Cup; World Rugby Sevens Series in Dubai, Sharjah International Cricket Championships.
Al Adiyat specialist horse racing magazine, Dubai
Consulting Editor/Senior writer 1998-2003
- Responsible for design, content, headlines, photos and stories for the weekly magazine.
- Wrote exclusive articles on leading owners, trainers, and jockeys in the world.
- Helped to raise the profile of the magazine both locally and internationally.
Emirates News national newspaper, Abu Dhabi
Chief Sub-Editor/Senior Journalist 1991-1997
- In charge of day-to-day editions, page designs, copy tasting and distribution, production.
- Training and mentoring reporters and sub-editors
Gulf News national newspaper, Dubai
Chief Sub-Editor/Deputy Sports Editor 1982-1991
The Sun Group of Newspapers, Sri Lanka
Wrote on a wide range of local and international sporting events 1978-1982
Freelance journalist for:
The Associated Press (USA)
Correspondent for United Arab Emirates 1987-2003
- Reported on a wide range of subjects and events, including the first Gulf War, international politics, International Defence Exhibition and Conference in Abu Dhabi, Dubai Air Show, major sports events, entertainment, and general news.
- Was the highest paid correspondent for a single month’s contribution in ‘93/94.
The Daily Telegraph, London 1984-1992
Wrote regular articles for the newspaper.
What’s On (Dubai), Shop Talk (Abu Dhabi), Gulf Air (Bahrain) magazines 1992-1999
Wrote features on travel, duty free, aviation and sports.
Khaleej Times, Dubai
Correspondent for major English language newspaper 2004-2008
- Wrote a weekly column on sports and other matters for readers in the UAE.
- Produced a regular bulletin for BBC Radio on different topics in Dubai.
Paris Gallery Magazine, Dubai
Editorial consultant/Features writer 2000
Helped launch the fashion, entertainment and business magazine with input in layout, story content and design.
Australian Hospitality Diploma
Sydney Community Colleges InDesign certificate.
News Corp certificates in legal, conflict and ethical reporting.
Thompson Reuters Foundation editing and writing courses.
TAFE NSW Mobile Journalism.
Sydney University Editing certificate.
Legal media certificate.
Interviewed the following all-time greats, including:
Muhammad Ali (https://bit.ly/36fmoNy); Pele (football), Sir Garfield Sobers (cricket); Garry Kasparov(chess); Nicky Lauda, Keke Rosberg, Nigel Mansell, Damon Hill (Formula One), Tony Abbot, Julia Gillard (Australian Prime Ministers), Sir Michael Stoute, Lester Piggott, Bob Baffert, Frankie Dettori, Aiden O’Brien (racing); Colin Jackson, Sally Pearson (https://bit.ly/2WQ3jyF) (athletics); Bjorn Borg, Boris Becker, Venus Williams, Justine Henin, Marat Safin (tennis); Sir Viv Richards, Clive Lloyd, Michael Holding, Malcolm Marshall, Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis, Sir Ian Botham, Mike Gatting, Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulakar, Kapil Dev, Barry Richards, Hansie Cronje, Bandula Warnapura (first Test captain of Sri Lanka), Roy Dias, Sanath Jayasuriya, Aravinda de Silva, Arjuna Ranatunga, Steve Waugh, Allan Border, Glenn McGrath, Ricky Ponting, Merv Hughes (cricket); Mark Ella, Glen Ella, David Campese, Michael Lynagh, Wayne Buck Shelford, Andy Haden, Gareth Edwards, (rugby); Tina Turner (rock star); Don Revie, Lothar Matthäus (Captained the World Cup-winning German team in 1990); Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, Carlos Alberto Parreira, Mario Lagallo (Brazilian World Cup coaches) (football); Jahangir Khan, Jansher Khan (squash).
Salvation Army, local church and college old boys association.
Editor, Hills To Hawkesbury Community News.
Mobile: 0439 034 187
Former Editor/Production Editor, Quest Community Newspapers, Queensland
Current: Partner, HEYNDESIGN
Mobile: 0481 834 390
Former Editor, Southwest Hub NewsLocal
Mobile: 0407 655 705